Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Racing Revision

I didn't end up racing in Santa Barbara on Sunday. I spent all day Saturday shampooing the carpets, didn't get to bed until late, and didn't want to spend an entire day away when Carie's leaving in less than a week. Basically, I didn't feel like it.

Instead of racing, I spent the day in deep introspection. First, I realized that my goal of qualifying for Nats this year may not be realistic, and even if it is it probably won't be fun. I'm finishing mid- to front-pack in my division now. I have yet to finish top five in this division, never mind win a race (I finished top 6 in every race in a lower division, but still never actually won a race). It's the middle division in collegiate, perfectly respectable. If I move up to the top division, I will get my clock cleaned. I'd rather spend a few races in my current division in the fall and see if I can land on the top step of the podium before I spend my time racing people who's ambition is to turn pro.

I also realized that I'll be going up to Tahoe once for the Tahoe-Sierra 100 race and again a couple weeks later for the UNR race. Going up a third time would probably be imposing on Jeannie's hospitality.

Finally, I spent some time on Google maps and realized that it's not that far a ride to the trailhead for one of my favorite trails. I set out and discovered that it's 8 miles on road and 3 miles on singletrack, not a bad approach at all. It only takes about 50 minutes if I take it fairly easy, whereas it was a 20 minute drive before. Loading the bike into the car is a pain and I'll totally take a ride from home any day. I think I just figured out what I'm going to do on weekends when Carie is gone.

2 comments:

  1. good call, racing is expensive. why pay to ride a super crowded trail when you can ride one for free with just a few friends instead.
    been thinking about getting a 29er hardtail, like my bike but maby having a 6" travel and a 29er hardtail might be fun changeup. ride hard with fast friends, 6"er with slow. http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_TeamTI_29.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Rockhopper eventually gives up the ghost I'll definitely be going down the 29er route. I'm way too tall to be mucking about with the smaller wheels.

    I really enjoy the racing, but you're right, $50 is too much for an entry fee. I'll wait until the fall and race collegiate, when my team will pay my entry and travel costs.

    ReplyDelete